May 12, 2006

SPIRIT and TALK


I may talk about Light and Love
but that is not the same
as letting my Light shine
any more than
talking about a piece of music
is the same as if
I sing a song.

Perhaps that’s what happens
to religions world over:
words, rituals, out of repetition
are remembered, even sincere,
while the Spirit glazes over
as ego
takes over.




ON CERTAINTY
or The Tip of the Mysterious Iceberg


What makes you so sure
you know
you see what I do not?
that I’m not seeing what you do not?

Once, I would listen to you talk,
maybe conventional wisdom, maybe not.
“Obvious” you said or implied.
Not understanding, I thought it was me.
Now I listen for confusion, unclarity and bluff,
ego’s need to show me, perhaps convince yourself
that you are in charge, have all well in hand,
certain what all's about.


What makes you think anyone
(even with greatest human genius,
scientific collaboration of centuries,
profoundest theological attunement,
all the world’s libraries,
most powerful super-computers)
might one day be able to understand
more than a tiny fraction
of this life, this world ....
not to mention universe?

What makes you think mankind
is capable of understanding
more than the tip of the iceberg,
any more than that little Poodle dog of yours,
precocious as you know he is,
is capable of understanding
more than a lesser part
of what you do know …
even while understanding things
you, the master,
do not?




3 Comments:

At June 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the poem about Spirit and Talk. Kinda scary because there is so much truth in it.

 
At June 08, 2006, Blogger ~~ Robert said...

How come it's scary? You're surely not doubting your Inner Light are you? or that of others?

 
At June 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scary bit is, when the ego glazes over. Like, we think we are spiritual, and it's a lot of ego talking. Not that I had sleepless nights over it, it just was a good awakening thought. makes me sit up straight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home